10 Tips for a Successful Grand Opening
Congratulations on your new endeavor! As a service to our members, the Crowley Chamber of Commerce can assist new businesses in organizing a Grand Opening and Ribbon Cutting Ceremony. Grand Opening and Ribbon Cuttings are primarily for announcing new members as well as significant name changes, new senior management, major expansion or renovation, relocations or second locations.
1.) Scheduling: Ribbon Cutting events are typically scheduled mid-morning to mid-afternoon. We generally advise businesses to avoid early mornings, late afternoons or after normal business hours. We ask that you give us at least two weeks’ notice so that adequate preparations can be made. Fridays are a great day if you are planning a larger, fun event as it gets people excited for the weekend!
2. ) Agenda: A chamber representative will welcome everyone and introduce the owner/manager Board Members and elected officials are in attendance. Business owner is given the opportunity to explain the business. Gather around the ribbon, to cut and for photo opportunities taken by chamber staff and posted on social media as well as being sent to the local paper
3. ) Not sure what to say at the Ribbon Cutting: Short overview of services. Quick history of the business. Reason for expansion/relocation/second location. Introduce staff/officers/board members/construction teams/family/anyone who played a key role.
4. ) It’s a time to celebrate and food is a great way to get people to stick around and mingle. Don’t break the bank by going overboard-the important thing is to introduce people to our business. We see everything from finger foods to snacks to catered hot food. It is totally up to you!
5. ) How long should it last? Short and Sweet. No one wants to be gone from work for long, so keep it simple.
6. ) The more the merrier: Invite your neighbor businesses and remember to GEAUX LOCAL! Together we can all accomplish more! We also encourage you to invite additional guests such as your family, friends, business associates, customers, etc. As a member of the Chamber, you also have access to our membership mailing list. Please contact us if you are interested in that information.
7. ) Be creative by putting a personal touch on things to make it memorable.
8. ) DO NOT stress about it, Ribbon Cuttings are are meant to be FUN! We want you to come away feeling the support of the Chamber and the business community as a whole.
9. ) Outdoor photos are typically best to incorporate your logo/sign/marquee.
10. ) SMILE for a practice shot during the Ribbon Cutting Photo. This is followed by the “3..2..1” countdown and CUT! (insert claps)
We hope you will give the Crowley Chamber of Commerce the opportunity to serve you in this capacity. The Chamber’s Board of Directors wishes you continued success in your business, and we look forward to working with you in the future. If you have any other questions, please contact the Chamber office at 788-0177.